What guidance does the Watkins Firm provide to business clients regarding how should a San Diego employer manage personnel records and how they are accessed? What are the laws that govern critical employment documents?
The Watkins firm helps San Diego employers to avoid workplace disputes and litigation and provides employer defense counsel and legal services when issues arise. One of the crucial elements of any strategy to protect employers from potential litigation includes the management of personnel records. Many employers approach this responsibility a bit carelessly, and there are many steps you should take to close this needless exposure to potential disputes.
The experienced business attorneys at the Watkins Firm often serve as a company’s general business counsel. In this capacity we advise clients on all aspects of business and operations, including documents related to employment. We help a San Diego employer manage personnel records while understanding critical issues such as:
- How long must an employer keep a copy of job applications, resumes, offer letters, employment contracts, hours and attendance records, time cards, payroll data, benefits information, leave requests, disciplinary documentation and termination or separation documentation?
- What are the requirements when this information is stored electronically, versus hard paper storage?
- What can you do to improve the quality and legal effectiveness of your offer letters, employment contracts, policies and procedures, employee handbooks, management practices and internal documentation?
- How should you handle medical records and information, and who should be able to access that data (and whom must you prevent from having access)?
- Which documents should be kept in which files? Did you know you should keep separate files for separate issues to preserve confidentiality and limit access?
- How should you handle a request by an employee to review their personnel file(s)? How should you handle a lawyer’s request?
If you have questions about how should a San Diego employer manage personnel records storage, employment documentation practices or wish to reduce or eliminate disputes and lawsuits we invite you to review the strong recommendations of our clients and contact the Watkins Firm or call 858-535-1511 for a complimentary consultation today.